Saturday, August 22, 2009

True Confessions of a Lampaholic

I have a deep dark secret that isn't so dark when my addiction is turned on. I am a lampaholic. I quit counting at 32 in my home. Of course, I should share that we don't have many ceiling fixtures so the lamps do fill the void. There's just something about an old lamp that I can't seem to resist and they're such a big part of decorating a room that several rooms in my home have been decorated around the lamps. From the 19th c. Carl Unger Schneider base with horses and cart to my mid 60's drip pottery lamp they all add greatly to finishing a room off. Simple and sleek, hand-painted or sculptural lamps complete the design of any room. You can purchase good used lamps at any flea market, garage sale or second hand shop for a reasonable price. It's not difficult to re-wire them, and I do strongly urge one to do just that. Better safe then sorry. I have to wonder how many people have turned these on and off through the years. When you think about it electric lamps brought us out of the darkness and into many good books. They lit the way through the 20th century.

Here are a few lamps from my collection. I tried to put them in order of decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment