Saturday, March 13, 2010

Surviving The Recession and Living Well

We're all in this together folks. This isn't the first recession I've lived through but I am hoping it's the last. I learned from the first recession that I need to be versatile in how I earn a living, how I live and how I love. It's a time to use your hidden talents, the ones you thought were just a hobby, and make it your life. I had to retrain in interior design in the 80's to make it through and those skills are coming around again in 2010. My grandparents did it during the great depression and survived. They didn't find work, they made work. They took in laundry and they paid their bills and fed their kids. Consider buying used instead of new, buy your groceries in bulk, discover the pleasure in a home cooked meal, the satisfaction of making your own clothes and be willing to make your own work. If you sew make it your work. People always need alterations and there is still a market for handmade items. Doll clothes at Christmas and bonnets for Easter can all be made from gently used clothes sold at garage sales for under $1.00.

This sunny little sewing box may have been in my grandma's house in the late 50's or early 60's. The outside is quilted vinyl with no missing threads. The inside plastic lift out tray is in good conditon. It has a bakelite handle and is in very good condition for it's age. It's available on Etsy.

SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment